articles

Our family is a part of the Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP) Society. One of the perks of RAP membership is the access to local archives.

Statement of Significance

(RAP retrieved October 2012)

Architectural Narrative: This two-story wood frame residential building is located at 1816 Cherry Street. Its Colonial revival styling is expressed by a symmetrical facade, a hip roof, a porte-cochere and a portico. The classical portico has a gable roof supported by Doric columns. Fenestration consists of metal sash windows. The exterior wall fabric is weatherboard. Alterations consist of the replacement of the metal sash in place of the original sash windows.

Architectural Context: Colonial Revival was the dominant style for American residential architecture during the first half of the twentieth century. In Florida, however, the popularity of the style during the era was eclipsed by the Bungalow and Spanish Revival styles. The term “Colonial Revival” refers to a rebirth of interest in the early English and Dutch houses of the Atlantic Seaboard. The Georgian and Adam styles were the backbone of the Revival, which also drew upon Post-medieval English and Dutch Colonial architecture for references. Read More

Historical Narrative: Located in the Riverdale subdivision, which was platted by Ella A. Hendrick and William Whitner, this building embodies many of the architectural characteristics of buildings constructed in Riverside during the Suburban Expansion Era between 1902 and 1918. Sanborn Company Maps which were prepared of Riverside between 1887 and 1949, and architectural evidence, based on comparisons with other buildings of similar size and design, indicates that this building was constructed about 1915.

Historical Context: Located southwest of downtown Jacksonville, Riverside is one of the city’s oldest and most historically significant residential neighborhoods. The area that became Riverside was originally part of two Spanish land grants issued in 1801 and 1815 to Philip Dell and Robert Hutcheson, respectively. Together, the two racts totalled 950 acres, an area nearly twice the size of present-day Riverside. The land changed hands frequently until 1847, when it was deeded to James Winter who operated a large plantation there. In 1869, Edward M. Cheney, editor of The Florida Union newspaper, purchased 500 acres of an area known as Dell’s Bluff of John Murray Forbes, a Boston millionaire. Forbes had the land surveyed and platted, and named the area Riverside for its location along the shore of the St. Johns River. Read More

4 Responses

  1. TBFCS Throwback Thursday | The Boys from Cherry Street

    […] articles […]

  2. farmhouseK8
    farmhouseK8 at · Reply

    Love this! These old souls are such treasures!….I’m alarmingly obsessed with old homes. They are just the best.

    1. The Boys from Cherry Street
      The Boys from Cherry Street at · Reply

      We love them too… even though they get “grumpy” every now and then!

      1. farmhouseK8
        farmhouseK8 at · Reply

        LOL–exactly!! 🙂

Leave a Reply